People’s trust promise
We're boosting our involvement in our Community, Advocacy, Education and Wellness Initiatives, and we need your help.
Take the People's Trust Promise just like all our team members here at Happy Un-Banking, and help us meet our 2017 goal of 3,000 actions to help support and grow our Houston communities, advocate for the future of credit unions, cultivate health and happiness, and, last but not least, learn together.
We love giving back to the community – it’s part of our culture and it’s People helping People. Each quarter we participate in volunteer activities around Houston to help our fellow citizens. We also participate in donation drives on a regular basis to collect food, shoes, clothes, and school supplies for the less fortunate.
Check your emails from us often because as opportunities come up, we’ll ask for your participation and you can help us out in the initiatives that are important to you.
During the first half of 2017, our employees have earned over 250 Promise Credits, equal to over 150 volunteer hours. Some of our past community activities have included:
- Group Volunteering at the Houston ToolBank http://www.houstontoolbank.org/
- Group Volunteering at the Target Hunger Community Garden http://www.targethunger.org/
- A shoe drive that collected over 350 pairs of shoes that were donated to be reconditioned and resold by entrepreneurs in developing countries
- A food dive for the Houston Food Bank that is in progress
Advocating for credit unions is important to us because ensures that we are treated fairly by lawmakers in Washington and Austin. There are many issues currently being discussed at the national and state level that have the potential to affect us, positivity or negatively. These requests are important, not only to People's Trust, but to the whole credit union industry, because they are related to supporting common-sense regulations for credit unions.
As necessary, we will send out Advocacy Alerts asking you to take action on our behalf, most often contacting your member of Congress in support or opposition to a piece of legislation that affects credit unions. Contacting your member of Congress normally takes less than 5 minutes because in most cases we’ll provide you a link to send a pre-drafted email to your member of Congress.
So far in 2017, our employees have taken over 230 advocacy actions supporting credit unions.
Some of our Advocacy Alerts so far this year have been:
- May 2017 – We urged Congress in Washington to pass the CHOICE Act that included the repeal of the Durbin Amendment.
- May 2017 – We urged the Texas House to vote no on House Bill 1752 which would impose additional unnecessary regulations that would end up costing People’s Trust thousands of dollars to comply and take time away from serving members
- April 2017 – We urged the Texas Senate to vote no on Senate Bill 714 which would impose additional unnecessary regulations that would end up costing People’s Trust thousands of dollars to comply and take time away from serving members
- March 2017 – We urged Congress in Washington to Common Sense regulations
Education is important to us; for members and employees.
For you, we offer educational seminars to help you improve your financial well-being and achieve financial prosperity! Click here to sign up for seminars currently being offered.
For employees, we learn and grow to serve you better. To date, we’ve earned 588 promise credits towards continuing education to further our learning and development.
A healthy workplace for us means happier and more productive employees for you to interact with when you call or stop by.
While we’re not asking you to hit the gym with and work out with us, when we have community events focused around wellness, like Zumba in the park or a fun run we’re going to be at, we’ll let you know so you can come be a part of the fun with us.
We're cultivating a healthy workplace through a wellness program and so far, this year employees have earned 148 wellness promise credits this year as of the end of May.
Watch the video to find out more and how you can take action with us!
We invite you to help us advocate for the future of credit unions, help support and grow our Houston communities, cultivate health and happiness and continue our learning and development together.